Ah yes, the size of the default remember me cookie can grow outrageously
big because it uses Java serialization. That's long running issue against
Shiro web (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SHIRO-226). It's simply to
override with your own implementation - you could use the one attached as a
patch to the issue, then override the default CookieRememberMeManager with:
public class LightCookieRememberMeManager extends CookieRememberMeManager {
    public LightCookieRememberMeManager() {
        super();
        setSerializer(new SimplePrincipalSerializer());

Kalle