hi ken,

short answer:
download transition.js into your js directory. does your custom distribution contain the relevant js? test your distribution against plain html/css/js from http://getbootstrap.com/getting-started/#examples

unabridged:
I just looked in _my_ src/main/webapp/assets/bootstrap directory which has (css|js|fonts) subdirectories and there is a js/transition.js file so must have come across the error before and totally forgotten about it until now.

Either:
a) download that file and put it into _your_ js directory and re-run; or,
b) check those methods are in your included bootstrap.js file

you are obviously playing around with compiling your own bootstrap distribution and the top of this page http://getbootstrap.com/javascript/ says separate *.js files or all inclusive single file (b)

I haven't tested BOOTSTRAP_ROOT to house other files and what behaviour effects occur. Why not just put bootstrap in it's own directory - makes life easier? like in your source code's comment.

chris