The transition functions also live in bootstrap.js - something I was happy to not know before :(

you'll have to do more testing on the non-tapestry side - i've cobbled together what works for me, un-optimized, i.e. full dist.

so ... when you run an app in node and browse to it, is transition.js mentioned in the html source code? if you d/l bootstrap dist and copy the transition.js file into your bootstrap/js dir, it all gets included - hard for it to flake out.

At early stage of deving, I don't add anything but

    public static void contributeApplicationDefaults(
            MappedConfiguration<String, Object> configuration) {
// Contributions to ApplicationDefaults will override any contributions to // FactoryDefaults (with the same key). Here we're restricting the supported // locales to just "en" (English). As you add localised message catalogs and other assets, // you can extend this list of locales (it's a comma separated series of locale names; // the first locale name is the default when there's no reasonable match).
        configuration.add(SymbolConstants.SUPPORTED_LOCALES, "en");
        configuration.add(SymbolConstants.MINIFICATION_ENABLED, "false");
configuration.add(SymbolConstants.BOOTSTRAP_ROOT, "context:assets/bootstrap"); configuration.add(SymbolConstants.JAVASCRIPT_INFRASTRUCTURE_PROVIDER, "jquery");
    }

into AppModule and it all works.
src/main/webapp/assets/bootstrap/js/transition.js exists as a file

I do not include any external jquery and let tapestry manage this - it is the same version as what bootstrap expects.