Oh,

so calling
require("modal").invoke("activate")

and then later
require("modal").invoke("deactivate")

.. both re-construct a seperate "modal" js object and then call one of the two published functions...

what if you have two different modals? what if they are init-ed differently:

java:afterRender() {
    require("modal").invoke("init").with("message 1");
    require("modal").invoke("init").with("message 2");
}

and then later
java:onSomeEvent() {
    require("modal").invoke("activate");
}

this flow would essentially construct the modal module instance 3 times, and the "activate" wouldn't know about "message 1" or "message 2".

Therefore, how would I re-aquire a handle to a specific module instance later on? for eg:

java:onSomeEvent(){
    // activate modal with "message 1"
    require("modal").invoke("activate");
}

I know this example doesn't make much practical sense, but the concept of communicating with something stateful is pretty key!

p.