Chris, It looks like the "rule of thumb" that I stated was wrong. I've just
used JavaScriptSupport#require in some AJAX event handlers.

Can someone explain under what circumstances we have to use
AjaxResponseRenderer#addCallback instead of JavaScriptSupport#require ?

Is it something to do with queueing requests? For example I noticed a
limitation of using require. This...

javaScriptSupport.require("components/MyTimer").invoke("showTimer");

javaScriptSupport.require("components/MyTimer").invoke("hideTimer");

javaScriptSupport.require("components/MyTimer").invoke("showTimer");

...resulted in only 2 invocations in the response to the client...

{
  "_tapestry" : {
    "inits" : [
      "components/MyTimer:showTimer",