Like most of you, I've mucked around with web-dev using php and very recently nodejs to experiment with newer technologies along with random tapestry endeavours - and there is certainly no silver bullet. That's "development"!

We start planning for it before it's released!!

Stats are stats and you can read what you want into them, but IE8 has low public usage/market-share http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php - corporate environments excluded i suppose.

At some point, there'll be some kind of feature freeze in tapestry-5.4 development - which I would presume is now at major version 3 for bootstrap. There is a facility to use your own bootstrap stack by configuration and using version 3.2.0 versus 3.3.1 is up to the dev.
e.g.
configuration.add(SymbolConstants.BOOTSTRAP_ROOT, "META-INF/assets/bootstrap");

The mailing list link refers to 14 components that rely on bootstrap css - perhaps a JIRA should be started with guidelines for the community to work on the porting v4 stuff. It can't be expected that HLS would do it single handedly. The 5.3 tapestry-bootstrap dude trsvax makes these suggestions looking forward:

1. Components should have no framework specific html elements and no css
2. I would make a data attribute called data-tapestry-type contain the
Tapestry component type.
3. Attach a mixin to all components that calls a service to add the
framework specific markup
4. Create a strategy service so various framework markups can be supported.
5. Each framework strategy service is a pipeline that takes a markup writer
and modifies the DOM as needed.
6. Create a property to define the default framework.

How about using message-catalog for css class names using the bootstrap version, e.g.
input-type-text--3-3-1
input-type-text--3-2-0
input-type-text--2-3-2
or
input-type-text--4-x-x
input-type-text--3-x-x

Rather than delving into tapestry's code, it's nearly bash scriptable for search and replace >> append new version class names, no code changes.

The creation of point (4) would allow for markdown to be used within tapestry I guess as well....so yes, quite forward thinking.

I think getting the javascript stuff done for 5.4 has been a monumental effort!!
"Development"!!!

The end.
Chris