Correct me if I'm wrong, but 5.4 doesn't provide default CSS. It uses
hardcoded bootstrap HTML/CSS instead.

It could produce default HTML (or even XML) without CSS at all and provide
default bootstrap module that converts this markup to bootstrap - voila -
you have default CSS, but also a more or less stable API for 3rd party CSS
frameworks.

I'm sure you know that adopting modern CSS framework is not that simple as
updating CSS rules, it also includes DOM rewrite.

And as far as I know 5.4 isn't backward compatible here, so overriding CSS
and rewriting DOM in a T5.3 app won't help during upgrade.

You mentioned component replacement, but that's not an option too. Try to
replace the t:Form component and form fields - that's not a trivial task.

So that's a real issue to our app.