Okay, I figured out the problem. I suppose the skeleton setup is somewhat
confusing. The services package in the skeleton provides for 3 modules:
AppModule, DevelopmentModule and a QaModule. Of those, seems like only
AppModule is loaded which does not contain the configuration for dev.
Therefore, simply following the tutorial by setting up the skeleton project
and executing it will run it in production mode.

The Development module, which contains
configuration.add(SymbolConstants.PRODUCTION_MODE, false); has the
following comment:

/**
 * This module is automatically included as part of the Tapestry IoC
Registry if
 */

So the confusing part is that in order for Tapestry to use the
DevelopmentModule which has the necessary configuration it is required to
pass a JVM parameter in the first place, which in turn yields the point
about adding:

configuration.add(SymbolConstants.PRODUCTION_MODE, false);

kind of pointless. So my question is, what is the point of the above, if in
order to force the development module it is necessary to pass a JVM param
in the first place?

The funny thing is that commenting out
configuration.add(SymbolConstants.PRODUCTION_MODE, false); from the
DevelopmentModule and passing -Dtapestry.execution-mode=development runs in
the dev mode anyway. Again - what's the point of that configuration then?