If you run out of permgen space very quickly, then it's indicative that the
allocated permgen space is simply too small. Perhaps the new version of
Tomcat requires more of it for itself, leaving less for your application.
Is the webapp restarted at times? If so, that can easily cause permgen
space to fill up because of the way OGNL works. And even if you are not
restarting the app, you need to exercise all parts of your web application
to find out the true permgen space consumption of it.

Kalle