On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 12:33 AM, Ivano Luberti <lube...@archicoop.it> wrote:

> Kalle, Chris, thanks for your answers.
> Unfortunately the problem is not related to webapp reloading even
> restarting the Tomcat service leads to out of PermGen in a few days,
> PermGen itself is quite large and I already use UseConcMarkSweepGC. Down
> The cause of the space consumption seems to be the presence of a lot of
> classes of this type
> org.apache.tapestry.enhance.ClassFactoryClassLoader

That's a symptom, not a cause.

> It seems that the more request the application serves the more PermGen
> increases and that's led me to think that the page pool is never cleaned up
> or at least not well cleanedup.

Most likely, you have a permgen memory leak. Are you using streams and/or
threads on your pages and are they properly closed, even in case of
exceptions? I can't tell you how many memory leaks I've plugged over the
years in thread and stream handling. Invariably, the errors are in your own
code. See https://plumbr.eu/blog/memory-leaks/what-is-a-permgen-leak for
possible causes for a permgen memory leak. Also, you are in luck because
Tomcat 6 added some useful tools for detecting memory leaks (see
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/MemoryLeakProtection, and Tomcat 7 and up is
even able to recover from some of them). Take a heap dump of the stressed
out system and load it in your VisualVM.

Kalle