You did not specify whether it was a specific zone / zoneupdate you wanted
to react on as opposed to all on page. Hence binding a listener on the
document seemed like a good suggestion.

You should avoid using JS directly in the page (like in your example) - Use
modules instead.

For reference such a module could look like this:

(function()
{
    define( [ "t5/core/dom", "t5/core/events" ], function( dom, events )
    {
        dom.onDocument(events.zone.didUpdate, function() {
            alert( 'updated' );
        });

        return null;
    } );