By default Tapestry locks user session when handling requests
(see
org.apache.tapestry5.internal.services.TapestrySessionFactoryImpl#getSession).
It makes your applications less susceptible to race conditions but of
course it has drawback that only one request per user (if a session is
used) can be handled concurrently.

You can disable this behaviour by setting symbol
"tapestry.session-locking-enabled" to false,
see org.apache.tapestry5.SymbolConstants#SESSION_LOCKING_ENABLED.