Hi,
There is no point upgrading to Tapestry 4.x. Unfortunately Tapestry 3 is
quite different from Tapestry 4.x, which is quite different from Tapestry
5.x. Differences are so significant, that you should consider this to be
more of a total rewrite in a new framework, rather than upgrades. At this
point it might be worth evaluating if Tapestry 5 is the right framework for
your project.

If you decide to go ahead with Tapestry 5, I think there is little reason
to try any versions older than 5.7 (and certainly no reason older than
5.6).

Best regards,
Cezary