Whilst I think everyone who writes JSPs and Servlets should read and understand
the specs before they start writing any code - and for that matter before they
post to the Tomcat user list ;) - this wasn't the reason I pointed you towards
the servlet spec. Neither did I do it for kicks. Quite simply, the spec answers
the questions you asked - see my response below.

More generally, the Servlet spec defines how a Servlet container should behave.
It covers more than just the javax.serlet.* API and includes, for example,
authentication.

> From: B Wiley Snyder [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> There isn't a j_security_check servlet. <----- then why does
> it act like one ?
Because that is how the servlet spec says it should act.

> The places to start are:
> - servlet spec <---- if it's not a servlet why do I need to
> review the
> servlet spec ?
Because the servlet spec defines how it works.

> "Configuration is automatic if you specify FORM
> authentication in your web.xml"
>
> my point exactly ...."configured automatically"...
>
> my question was is there a step by step break down of the
> process involved
> in authenticating a user using j_security_check ...
Yes, the servlet spec.