Did you include a security contraint element in your web.xml file? Something
like this:

  <security-constraint>
    <web-resource-collection>
      <web-resource-name>HTTPS for all of these pages of the
application.</web-resource-name>
      <url-pattern>/secure/*</url-pattern>
    </web-resource-collection>
    <user-data-constraint>