To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 17, 2005 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: Help, Tomcat 4.1.31 no response

Have you taken a look at your log files? It could be a memory leak in
your app as well.

-- David

zhang chao wrote:

My Operating System: RedHat 9
JVM version: j2sdk 1.4.2_09
Tomcat: tomcat 4.1.31
Hardware configuration: Dual PIII 1G, 512MB memory
users: about 30

I have a web application and have deployed to my tomcat 4.1.31. The
problem is: tomcat will no response after running about 1 week. When i
enter the URL in IE and press enter, there is nothing happen except
the progress-bar of IE is increasing, after about 2 minutes, IE
displayed "Cannot display this page". The tomcat's process in
server(process named "java") has no any exception, the memory usage
and cpu usage is normal.

I think that maybe tomcat had no idle thread in thread pool to serve
for requests so, it kept waiting for an thread available. If this is
true, my web application must have bugs which exhausted the thread and
resources. But i don't know, in what situation, these threads cannot
be callback by tomcat. My database resultsets, statements and
connections are released(MySQL database, version 3.23.58, used
tomcat's dbcp connection pool), my network sockets instance are closed
and any no-use class instances have been set to null.

There is another important issue: when tomcat had no response, the
only thing I can do is to restart the tomcat server but, when i
invoked the tomcat's "shutdown.sh" script, I found that the 8080 port
was not listening but the "java" process was still alive. I must use
"kill -9 <the java process's pid>" to kill the process.
my web application is based on struts framework. When a request
arrives, a Action Servlet is invoked then, servlet will invoke my
singleton mode logic class, logical classes will fill lots of entity
classes and return them back to the client. Did these singleton-mode
logical class cause the problem?

My English is poor and I hope everybody can read me. Any help and
suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks.