Hello Nehal,

> I have 2 of my application specific jarfiles which need to be used by all
> other applications too in tomcat 5.5.9 on linux. Hence, i am placing both
> the jarfiles into common/lib of tomcat binary and linking them into
> shared/lib of application which use them.
>
> But, unfortunately, i get Null Pointer Exception. And my jarfiles or say
> classes are not getting loaded.
>
> If i put those jarfiles into application's WEB-INF/lib, it works fine.
>
> One of my jar contains servlet API in it.
>
> What could be the possible reason of failing the class loading from
> common/lib path?
Have a look at
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/class-loader-howto.html
If you have placed a jar in commons/lib, it is not needed to put them into
sharded.
I recommend to use shared/libs for your webapps only. Or even better, do not
use any shared directory if there is no special reason for. A webapp is an
independent application and WEB-INF/lib is the just made for libs needed by
this application.

Regards
Boris