Hi all,

Some time ago I built Tomcat 5.5.12 from source with java 1.5.0_05 and then ran
it with the same java version (ie 1.5.0_05). However, our requirements have
changed since then and now I need to run Tomcat 5.5.12 in java 1.4.2_10.

I've dropped the content of the 'compat' directory into the Tomcat5.5.12
installation directory (as per instructions found on
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/building.html and also in RUNNING.txt).
Then tried to start tomcat and got java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError,
which in our case indicates that classes that were compiled with the lower java
version attempt to run in the higher java version. This is exactly what I
expected.

However, when doing the same thing with the Tomcat 5.5.12 binaries downloaded
directly from the tomcat.apache.org I was surprised to find that it started
successfully.

My question is: was Tomcat 5.5.12 binary version that can be downloaded from
http://tomcat.apache.org/download-55.cgi#5.5.12 compiled with java 1.4?

Thanks a lot for your help on this issue.

Alex.