Thanks again. Indeed I will read up. But please give me one clue; as I say, I'm not the developer - he ought to know all this better than me! - what's the file extension of a compiled servlet?

Tom

----- Original Message ----- From: Caldarale, Charles R
To: Tomcat Users List
Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2006 3:43 PM
Subject: RE: Encrypting/Protecting JSP/Struts source code

From: Tom Burke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Well, the JSPs are among the things I am referring to. Showing my
ignorance, is a 'pre-compiled' file a binary file? And how would we
deploy these onto a server?

Read up on servlets and JSPs on the Sun web site (or Google).
Simplisticaly, servlets are the class files that contain compiled Java
code for processing client requests.  Normally, JSPs are turned into
servlets on first reference, but most (all?) development environments
have a means of pre-compiling them before application deployment.  This
not only avoids exposure of the source code, it also gets rid of the
response hiccup that's seen on first reference.

- Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.