Thank you for your input, Aparna!

Based on Chunk and Aparna's suggestion, I changed PermGen/Heap parameters to be
128M/256M. It worked well on the following day too. However, Friday's traffic
is usually light. I am not sure these new parameter values would fix this
problem.

Instead of keeping testing this production web server with every end user, I
rolled this web server back to V.3.3.1, which had run smoothly for about 4
years.

About updating to Tomcat 5.5. Since the cause is not unclear, and some Tomcat
5.5 hangups were reported as well, I don't think simply upgrading to 5.5 would
fix my problem.

Thank you all for your help and attention!

- Monica