> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: Need tomcat build for Fedora 3 on x86
>
> But in reality I have so far never seen such a thing as a Java
> "build once, run everywhere" come true.

Actually, I've never seen it fail, for pure Java, headless-compatible
programs.

> I hope the core stuff will suffice?

It should.  You might also want the admin package, since that's useful
for poking around inside Tomcat, but it's certainly not required.

> Will it be executable by my Java interpreter?
> java version "1.5.0_06"

Yes.

> Do I simply have to untar the tarball into the Apache
> DocumentRoot?

You can put it wherever is appropriate for your environment.  You must
use a GNU-compatible untar program.

> But I thought Tomcat was a Servlet Engine in its own right,
> not needing to be piggy-backed on an Apache webserver?

That is correct.  You do not need to front-end Tomcat with httpd, unless
there are specific features of httpd that you want to use (e.g., load
balancing across multiple Tomcat instances).

> So the startup.sh after some environment fiddling in server.xml
> (or elsewhere) should start that beast?

Yes.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.