> sorry, I just clean forgot to tell the version its 5.5.9.
>
> I discovered the tomcat-juli.jar in the bin directory
> so I suppose its in use. Although I never used it so far.
>
> So the idea is to switch x4juli.jar and I get the same functionality
> as in log4J? That's great because I'm using it to log my webapps.
What are you using in your webapps? java.util.logging or log4j?
If you are using java.util.logging in your webapps try x4juli.
If you are using log4j in your webapps try log4j with
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html
http://tomcat.apache.org/faq/logging.html

> So despite this option the only real solution would be to do
> it with shell scripts in my linux environment?
This is a bad option. You would move an open file (during Tomcat run) to an
separate name/directory.

Regards
Boris