What firewall are you using..if any? Is it on or off?

Parsons Technical Services wrote:
What is in the logs?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Whitby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 11:02 AM
Subject: Problem with setting up an SSL secure page

Dear all,

I am currently designing a final year project for my University course and I am having problems getting a working SSL connection. I have Tomcat set up and working fine, but when it comes to accessing a page over the https setup, I am having no luck.

Firstly a few technical details. I am using Windows XP Home, with Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180. I am using the latest Java installation, jdk 1.5.0_05 and so the JSSE comes installed with that. I'm using Tomcat 5.0, the latest installation available (it's only been installed on my system for the last few weeks). I have McAffe Security Centre installed but the problem occurs even with this turned off.

Now the problem. I have followed word by word the set up instructions in the Tomcat manual. I have created the certificate and verified it using the command line. I have altered the server.xml file to include the path "keystorePath="D:/FYPCode/keystore" "where I have copied the keystore to. I've done everything. Yet when I type https://localhost:8443 in the browser window I get nothing. When using IE it takes ages to search for the page, then eventually I get "This page cannot be displayed" and in Mozilla I get a message after a couple of minutes saying the page has timed out and get left with a blank page. So I can't load the page up at all.

I've tried everything I can think of to get it to work. I have 3 different books on this subject and I've followed the instructions in every one to try and get this to work. Nothing has worked. I did a Google search using as many different combinations of words I can think of but the only help I get is for Tomcat 3 and the old JSSE installation. So I'm lost. I did even think about installing the JSSE 1.3 to see if that had an effect, as I can't find any of the jar files that are mentionned in that area. However, I felt it best to ignore that as it says.

So as you can see I've tried everything I can think of. Nothing as worked. If anyone can help me I would be extremely grateful.

Many thanks

Mark Whitby
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mike Sabroff