I know "Ascii value" isn't quite the correct term, but it's the only one I could come up with.

What Im trying to come up with is the simplest way of coming up with the numeric value associated with a given character, and to go back the other direction as well. In VB, these are the ASC() and chr() functions. I know how to get these values by going through a Byte type, but is there a quicker way to get (for example):

Starting with "B", return 66, or starting with " " (one space), return 32?
Going the other way, 66 should return "B", and 32 should return " ".

Thanks for any suggestions!
DAve