From:     David Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent:     Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:28:29 -0500
To:       Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Subject:  Re: What, exactly, is meant by "full path" when construction
      web.xml entries

More like:

package com.kilonovember ;

// imports here

public class Monkey extends HttpServlet{

// methods and programming

}

Note I didn't include the class name in the package name. This creates a class with the full name of com.kilonovember.Monkey.

--David

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Thanks for the sanity check. That did what I expected, so to expand on this, if I were
creating a "real" servlet whose source code opened like this:

package com.kilonovember.Monkey;
import javax.servlet.*;
import javax.servlet.http.*;
import java.io.*;

public class Monkey extends HttpServlet{

.. programming stuff goes here ...

}

I would create this directory structure under "C:\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat
5.5\webapps"?

com/kilonovember

and place my compiled Monkey.class in kilonovember?

Next I would edit the web.xml file and add these elements?

   <servlet>
       <servlet-name>monkey</servlet-name>
       <servlet-class>com.kilonovember.Monkey</servlet-class>
   </servlet>

   <servlet-mapping>
       <servlet-name>monkey</servlet-name>
       <url-pattern>/monkey</url-pattern>
   </servlet-mapping>

Having done that, I would re-start Tomcat and, providing my Monkey.class compiled
correctly, I should expect to be able to type "http://localhost:8080/monkey";
into my browser's address window and see the output of Monkey.class. Is that correct?

Thanks to everyone who responded.