Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

From: David Kerber [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: [OT] How does Synchronized code interact with other applications

Ok. So if I were to port the Delphi app to java and run it as another thread in my app, I would be ok there...

Not necessarily.  You will still have the same file open twice, once for
the writer, once for the reader.  When the writes become visible is
still under control of NTFS.
Ok.

If you're going to run the two apps inside the same JVM, do you even
need to write a file?  You should be able to just pass String objects
from one to the other.
The output side is a database write, and part of our design criteria was to be able to stop and start the database without interfering with data flow from the remote sites into the central office. So we write the data to disk and acknowledge the successful receipt of the data to the sites at that time. Then we can read the data out of the disk file and write it to the database indpendently.

Does fileWriter.flush() do almost the same thing?

No guarantee - there are two levels of buffering going on.  The flush()
API pushes the stream information out to the file system, but does not
require that it actually be written to disk.  Only the sync() does that.
I don't know if the results of the flush() are visible to other
processes in NTFS.
They are, as far as I understand it.

Dave