OK here we go. What was said above is true but it's not all about the
service, therefore the service.bat script is not enough to resolve the
problem. If you read the nsi install script from the source, you can see
everything that it does, and the setup of the service is just one thing. The
tested procedure which I've used live is as follows:

I assume you have installed tomcat under C:\tomcat-x1 with the intention to
install C:\tomcat-x2, C:\tomcat-x3, etc..
The service names will be called TomcatX1, TomcatX2, TomcatX3, etc.
The Display Names will be "Apache Tomcat #1", "Apache Tomcat #2", etc.
And of course the ports will be configurred differently (I use for shutdown:
40051, 40052, etc., for http/1.1: 40801, 40802, etc. for ajp/1.3: 40091,
40092, etc.)

First run the following after adapting to your environment:

set TOMCAT_NO=1
set JAVA_HOME=C:\jdk1.5.0_03
set CATALINA_HOME=C:\tomcat-x1
As you can see %TOMCAT_NO% is the iterative number I give to the Tomcat
install I'm dealing with.

Then you can run
%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe //DS//Tomcat5
as the service name is hardcoded "Tomcat5" in the current tomcat dist.

Then you're free to run:

%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe //IS//TomcatX%TOMCAT_NO% --DisplayName
"Apache Tomcat #%TOMCAT_NO%" --Description "v5.5.16" --LogPath
"D:\logs\tomcat-x%TOMCAT_NO%" --Install "%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\tomcat5.exe"
--Jvm "%JAVA_HOME%\jre\bin\server\jvm.dll" --StartPath "%CATALINA_HOME%"
--StopPath "%CATALINA_HOME%" --Startup auto --Classpath
"%CATALINA_HOME%\bin\bootstrap.jar" --StartClass
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StopClass
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap --StartParams start --StopParams stop
--StartMode jvm --StopMode jvm --JvmOptions "-
Dcatalina.home=%CATALINA_HOME%#-Dcatalina.base=%CATALINA_HOME%#-Djava.endorsed.dirs=%CATALINA_HOME%\common\endorsed#-Djava.io.tmpdir=%CATALINA_HOME%\temp#-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager#-Djava.util.logging.config.file=%CATALINA_HOME%\conf\logging.properties"
--StdOutput auto --StdError auto

(my logs go to a specially created folder on another drive
D:/logs/tomcat-x1)

This was inspired by the .nsi script, which to my mind is more reliable than
the service.bat one.

But that's not all. You need to edit the registry:

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat\5.5"
-> rename it to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat\#1"

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Apache
Tomcat 5.5"
-> rename it to
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Apache
Tomcat #1"
and change DisplayName value to "Apache Tomcat #1 (remove only)"

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
-> remove entry "ApacheTomcatMonitor" (yes: DELETE, you can always access
the monitor with the menu, it's not needed in the tray esp. if you have many
tomcats)

And lastly, the menu in Program that has been created has also been
hardcoded, so change
"Start / All Programs / Apache Tomcat 5.5" menu entry to "Apache
Tomcat #1"and change the
targets for Configure and Monitor (replace ..//Tomcat5 by ..//TomcatX1).
Thar's where you can start the monitor for each tomcat if you really want to
(IMHO you wont)

That's it and it works like a charm! Don't take my word for it have a look
into the .nsi script and you will see for yourself there is nothing else.

Just a note if you need to unsistall, do a regular uninstallation followed
by:

- delete registry key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat\#1"
- delete registry key
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Apache
Tomcat #1"
- remove "Start / All Programs / Apache Tomcat #1" menu entry

HTH

Nic