Hello Francis,

VARIN, FRANCIS A. wrote:

As mentioned above, we have used this class for several years in WAS. In that case, the jar that contains the factory resides at the EAR level and can instantiate classes that live in the associated WAR files just fine. The problem only exists in Tomcat.

Admittedly, we are new to using Tomcat and are looking to see if there is a way where we might configure Tomcat's behavior to mimic that of an app. server like WebSphere?

I have no experience with WebSphere below 5.0, but I know about 5.0, 5.1 and 6.0. I assume that you were using a ClassLoader policy in WebSphere "Application",
so EAR and WAR shared the same classloader.
If you want to check this out try the following in one of the WAR classes:
ClassLoader current = Thread.currentThread().getContextClassloader();
System.out.println(current.toString());
ClassLoader parent current.getParentClassLoader();
System.out.println(parent.toString());
You will see the full classpath of the application, the policy.

Regards
Boris