this problem didn't have much to do with having servlet knowledge so I am confused here. It had to do with setting up logging for servlets which AFAIK, they don't teach in a servlet tutorial, so if you knew servlets, it was not enough :( just as in my case.
dean

David Delbecq wrote:

Jay a écrit :

I am pretty new to tomcat. I recently read a post http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-user&m=114372017420869&w=2
which solved a problem I have been having for tomcat 5.5 also.  I
thank that person for posting the solution.  I also read some of the
dissappointed. I also think that is a usability problem for newbs. like tomcat team wants tomcat to only be usable for advanced users to
me.  This frankly dissapoints me.

I think tomcat doc just aims at people having minimum knowledges
background in java, servlet, j2ee specs. Teaching this background
knowledge is in no point the purpose of tomcat docs. Thought the docs is
not always complete, it generally provide enough information to do what
you need to do, once again assuming you have that background knowledge.