ok, I solved the problem for my configuration and perhaps my solution
will help you.  I'm running tomcat 5.5.16 on win XP and java 1.5_06.

I have my webapp sitting in a directory titled ROOT instead of appName
as I had it in tomcat 5.0.28 (of course I renamed the original ROOT
directory to something else).  I have no context at Catlina/localhost.
 Instead, I have context.xml in a META-INF directory ->
ROOT/META-INF/context.xml.

<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0" reloadable="true"
antiResourceLocking="false" antiJARLocking="false" >

Now my webapp is recognized by tomcat exactly how I want - at the
ROOT.  Hopefully this helps you.

and now for something completely different - I'm having problems with
mysql db connection now ...

"ERROR cims.FilterDispatcher - EXCEPTION: getConnectionFromPool():
attempting to get connection from db: MysqlSf:
org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create JDBC
driver of class '' for connect URL 'null'"

perhaps this is due to the fact that my app is now in a directory
called ROOT instead of appName.  Anyway, I'm off to check into this
some more.

Eric