mod_jk, mod_jk2 (same as jk2?), mod_proxy, mod_proxy_balancer, mod_proxy_ajp
APR, AJP etc. and my head starts spinning.. :o\

From what I understand, as of Apache 2.2, the mod_jk project no longer applies. Instead, the mod_proxy module is a generic way to proxy from Apache HTTPD to other servers. So for Tomcat, the mod_proxy_ajp module will proxy from Apache HTTPD directly to Tomcat using the AJP protocol. This is much simpler than ever, here is how I do it for one of my servers...

<VirtualHost 12.34.56.78:80>
  ServerName my.server.com

  ProxyPreserveHost On
  ProxyPass / ajp://12.34.56.78:8009/
</VirtualHost>

...which passes all requests for my.server.com to Tomcat, with an AJP connector
listening on port 8009...

<Connector address="12.34.56.78"
           port="8009"
           protocol="AJP/1.3"
           enableLookups="false"
           minSpareThreads="20"
           maxSpareThreads="100"
           maxThreads="200"
           connectionTimeout="60000"
/>

...it's very simple now, no workers.properties or crazy mod_jk directives. In fact mod_proxy_ajp is included with Apache 2.2.

Well basically what I though was to set up an Apache server and more then
one Tomcat servers with some load balancing. Am I wrong if I have the
impression that Apache is the way to go with 128bit SSL and as the front end
for load balancing?

I have it set for SSL, which still uses the exact same proxy diretives, since the proxying is done using AJP after Apache does all the SSL protocol stuff. Again, very simple. As for load balancing, I believe this would be handed by some additional mod_proxy directives.

Bernie