Thanks Charles I have found documention for all the below from the Tomcat group
but seemed somewhat outdated. Mark Thomas's name seemed dominant in most of the
presentations I have seen there is even sections dealing with Tomcat in various
Tomcat books I have seen.

True the tuning is dependent somewhat upon the app but even Mark mentioned
logging levels, threads that run contineously that might best be tuned off
(like checking for new deploys ect). He also mentioned the xmx xms java tuning
and what Tomcat without apps (WARs) loaded needs although not sure if he
mentioned xss parimeters. I am using the G1 GC by default since that is setup
in 1.7.0_05 and the compressed pointers is also setup by default for that
version of 1.7.0_05. I am also looking at the OS level to remove uneeded
services. I alreadt tuned the network transport parameters as best as possible.

FYI I currently am down to the 1-2msec response times as measured at the
exposed web services methods inside of Tomcat 7 using 64-bit Oracle 1.7.0_05
JDK and that includes database calls to SQL Server 2012 Express. I have used
some of the standard things mentioned by Mark Thomas which has helped alot and
looking for more current tips.
I am using the latest JAX_WS Metro release and my next step is to go to JAX-RS
and look at the size of the request/response and new total response time
as recorded in the Apache logs and the client side measurements where currently
I am seeing 5-7msec over a 1Gb/s ethernet.

Every 6 months or so I do a non-functional tuning exercise that includes code
updates like the last one where I eliminated the EJB calls to JBoss and went to
jdbc calls from within Tomcat a more "bare metal" appraoch. That alone reduced
my web method round trip time from 6-7msec down to 1-2msec.

Thanks for the advice.
-Tony