2012/8/3 Dale Ogilvie <dale_ogil...@trimble.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing this problem below appearing now with one of our web-apps,
google has not helped me so far... There have been no changes with the
web app in question, which was working, so I'm picking something is
going on with either the tomcat or OS (virtualized) environment, but
what? Any tips as to how to figure out what is going on?

> root cause
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl
cannot be cast to org.apache.jasper.el.ELContextImpl

org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.proprietaryEvaluate(PageContex
tImpl.java:982)

org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.views.promoCodeWelcome_jsp._jspx_meth_c_005fo
ut_005f0(promoCodeWelcome_jsp.java:301)

org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.views.promoCodeWelcome_jsp._jspService(promoC
odeWelcome_jsp.java:171)

org.apache.jasper.runtime.HttpJspBase.service(HttpJspBase.java:70)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.ja
va:432)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:390)

org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:334)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)

org.springframework.web.servlet.view.InternalResourceView.renderMergedOu
tputModel(InternalResourceView.java:238)

org.springframework.web.servlet.view.AbstractView.render(AbstractView.ja
va:250)

org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.render(DispatcherServl
et.java:1047)

org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doDispatch(DispatcherS
ervlet.java:817)

org.springframework.web.servlet.DispatcherServlet.doService(DispatcherSe
rvlet.java:719)

org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.processRequest(Framewor
kServlet.java:644)

org.springframework.web.servlet.FrameworkServlet.doGet(FrameworkServlet.
java:549)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:621)
>         javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
>         jcifs.http.NtlmHttpFilter.doFilter(NtlmHttpFilter.java:125)
>
> The app is deployed on Tomcat 7.0.27, java 1.6_026, erroring jsp line:
>
> <c:out value="${fn:length(promoCodeSpecCommand.user)}" />

I found the problem, but I am confused as to WHY it is a problem.
*Another webapp* on the same tomcat instance includes the following jar
in its WEB-INF/lib:

jsp-2.1-6.1.14.jar

This jar contains the offending class
"org.apache.jasper.runtime.ELContextImpl".

If I remove this *other* application  (app2) from the server, the
ClassCastException in app1 goes away.

I thought the WEB-INF/lib directories for different applications were
isolated from each other, but in this case it appears app1 is using a
class from app2. This seems rather bad to me.

Thoughts?