-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Thomas [mailto:ma...@apache.org]

>Again, that class is not a Tomcat class. As far as I can tell, that is party
>of Jetty's JSP/EL implementation.
<snip>
>Anyway, if you start adding JARs from one container into another then all
>sorts of things can and will go wrong. I see no way to protect Tomcat against
>this.

>Mark

So you are saying that Tomcat should not be responsible for preventing app1
from unintentionally loading a class from app2/WEB-INF/lib/[jetty-jsp-el].jar?

I thought that this was a contravention of Tomcat classloading rules. Is your
point that the jetty jar is doing some "magic" to force its class into another
apps classloader tree, and this sort of thing is actually allowable for an app
using "container" jars?

If you could provide some more details on how one can intentionally inject your
own classes into other apps for their use, that would be interesting, but it
does sound like a bit of a security hole.

Note, I don't know very much about the technical details of classloaders, I am
just trying to understand how something occurred which seems to be against how
things are supposed to work.

P.S. The jetty jar actually appeared in app2 due to maven dependencies, it was
not added as a direct dependency for app2.

Dale