Yes, Dan.  But the OP stated he is using Windows Server 2008, which is the
server version of "Vista". Since he doesn't say he's on 2008 R2 (which is
Windows 7 Server), so we'll assume that he's at least at a Vista-level
networking.

The bug you mention is specifically about dual-mode socket support, that is,
being able to specify the port and not the address and having Java set up to
sockets which listen/talk on both the IPv4 & IPv6 addresses of the machine. At
least if I read it correctly.  Re-reading it, it might not be there for NIO, no
matter what you try.  My work-around would specifically show whether the
support is there or not for IPv6 in NIO, i.e., use it as a diagnostic tool, if
nothing else.

But yes, reading the bug, really closely, makes it appear that the support for
NIO IPv6 was not back-ported to JDK6 until this last July, specifically
6u33-b34.  So the OP should probably start up upgrading his Java to jdk1.6_34
or later and see if that doesn't fix it first.

Personally, I prefer the APR to NIO, but mainly because SSL is easier to manage
under APR. I believe there are some esoteric advantages to using NIO, but I'd
have to go back to the comparison chart to tell you what they are.  The OP may
have a specific use case that requires those features.