I am still trying to work out how to fix this problem.

Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between standard
Tomcat and embedded Tomcat (maven plugin)? Especially where does the
embedded (maven plugin) Tomcat looks for the webapp resources?

Here is how I configured the plugin:

            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.apache.tomcat.maven</groupId>
                <artifactId>tomcat7-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>2.0</version>
                <configuration>
                    <argLine>-Xmx1024m</argLine>
                </configuration>