On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Andrew Todd <andrew.todd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Jeremy Heiler <jeremyhei...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Every resource I've read thus far has said that the driver jar must be
> > in $CATALINA_HOME/lib or DBCP wont work.
>
> Can you provide a link for that? I've been just fine bundling the
> Oracle 11 library inside my .war file.

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/jndi-resources-howto.html#JDBC_Data_Sources

"Use of the JDBC Data Sources JNDI Resource Factory requires that you
make an appropriate JDBC driver available to both Tomcat internal
classes and to your web application. This is most easily accomplished
by installing the driver's JAR file(s) into the $CATALINA_HOME/lib
directory, which makes the driver available both to the resource
factory and to your application."

My expectation is that the jars in the WAR file are not available to
the Tomcat internal classes.

> For that matter, I actually pull in the DBCP artifact from Maven,
> because I'm developing on Grails and their embedded Tomcat instance
> for development doesn't (or didn't, at least) contain DBCP.

In that case, I would expect my test case to work. However, since I am
still using Tomcat's DBCP machinery, I would expect my test case to
fail.