David Elliott wrote:
Hi André

André Warnier wrote on 16 November 2012 at 16:20 my time.

Tomcat is running and is able to serve up pages but only to itself.
Huh ? Care to explain what you mean here ?

I would say see below, but...

If I do wget http://localhost:8080 I get a page saved and the text looks right.
Hmm. So I guess that's what you meant above.
You can access your Tomcat application from a browser running on the same host
as Tomcat,
right ?

Don't have a browser on that server, but wget does the job.

However if I browse from any other machine (inside subnet mask, from web) it
return nothing but a connection error.
And what URL are you using in that case ?

Pardon my falsely-naive question above, but the way you expressed yourself in your original post was leading me to suspect that you may have tried, from another host, to use the same URL as before (http://localhost:8080). That would of course have shown a very poor understanding of how things work, but nothing in your earlier communication allowed me to really exclude that case. We get all kinds here.
;-)

Various.

Ok, let's pick them apart.

http://machineName:8080
http://machimeName.local.domain:8080

If only the above did not work, then it could mean that your internal name resolving system does not work properly, and (for example) that it resolves the above names to another machine, which has nothing listening on port 8080.

But the next one tends to exclude that case.

http://192.168.100.120:8080

Ok, not name resolving involved here, so let's assume that the internal name resolving is not the cause here (and that this is really the local IP address of your Tomcat host).

http://externalName:8080
http://externalIP:8080

So here we get a confirmation that your Tomcat host does have a public IP address, or at least that there is some kind of gateway that does. That also was not clear in your original communication, because you talked in the same line of 192.168.100.120 and a public IP (which 192.168.100.120 obviously is not).

and all with https just in case

but not then on port 8080, presumably ?

When I put all this together now, and considering that it is unlikely that between another local network host on your local network 192.168.0.0, and this one with an IP of 192.168.100.120, there would be anything "intelligent" that could block packets, I will have to concur with another poster, and suspect that it is something on your Tomcat host itself which is blocking incoming connections to port 8080, when they do not originate from the same host (127.0.0.1, localhost). And for a Linux system, iptables seems like a reasonable bet. SE-Linux enabled ? And what about /etc/hosts.(deny|allow) ? are those files present ?

This is all a bit nitpicking, I agree. What I'm trying to say, is that your initial message was so loosely-phrased and provided so little information, that it took 10 exchanges to get here. While you could have provided all this information right from the start. And have gotten better answers sooner.