2012/11/27 James Lampert <jam...@touchtonecorp.com>:
> Running Tomcat on various AS/400s (V6R1 or later OS), we've found that
> shutdown.sh doesn't reliably shut down the server, and we frequently have to
> shut it down forcibly (i.e., finding CATALINA on a WRKACTJOB, and giving it
> a "4" with "OPTION(*IMMED)").
>
> Port 8009 does appear to be open before we call shutdown.sh, and it does
> appear to be closed after we call it.
>
> Any idea what the problem could be? Or where I should look for indications
> of what it could be?

1. catalina.sh and shutdown.sh should be able to kill a hung process,
but only if you call them with "-force" and if you have CATALINA_PID
variable defined in your configuration.

Do you have CATALINA_PID configured?

A clean shutdown might be impossible if Tomcat encounters an OutOfMemoryError.

2. Shutdown command is sent to port 8005. (8009 is a port used by AJP
protocol connector).

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko