All,

I have developed a Perl script that can be used with Nagios to check
on a Tomcat instance via the manager's JMXProxyServlet. Someone asked
me to publish it, which I'm happy to do. I'm just wondering what the
best thing to do is.

I see several options:

1. Submit a patch to the Tomcat source
2. Drop the file into the Tomcat wiki
3. Stick the file on Apache's related-projects stash
    -- I have forgotten the address at this point :(
4. Host it on my own website

Tomcat's source doesn't include a "contrib" directory or anything like
that, so probably #1 isn't the best option, but I figured I'd mention
it in case someone wants to tell me a better place in the Tomcat
source I could put it.

I'm not sure the wiki is the best place for things like scripts. At
least it will be available and versioned-with-history: anyone can make
modifications to it and everyone benefits.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to which way I should go?

Thanks,
- -chris

Chris,

First of all, thank you for this. I've been toying with a similar idea (and plugging the entire mess into the Icenga remoting script), but I've not had the chance.

Right now, I think the Wiki might be a good place. Maybe under the "Troubleshooting" section? I don't know, there doesn't seem to be a good monitoring section in the How To area of the Wiki.

Maybe you could start one?

The fact that you have forgotten the related projects' stash URL is a good indication that most people don't know of it, or have forgotten it, or are otherwise unaware of it. I know I am. So unless the location gets broadcast pretty strongly, then your good work will go off to the dusty bin of unvisited URLs.

Your blog is great as well, I just don't know how much extra access and traffic you're looking for . . .

. . . . just my two cents
/mde/