Hi

> > > What should happen when catalina.out is deleted? Please, I need to
> > > resolve this question.
> > So far as I know it's just a logfile and all that happens is that you
> > lost the log output.  The file should be created on the next start of
> > the server.
> Even when the server is running and the file is deleted? Thank you.

If you are running on linux (which I suppose is true, if you are calling
gzip catalina.out), the file was not actually deleted.
The tomcat process opened that file and kept it open.
Gzip read the file, and *unlinked* it, which is actually a delete if and
only if there is no other link.
However, as tomcat still has an active file handle, there is.

So tomcat keeps logging into a file that is not accessible as "catalina.out"
any more.
As long as tomcat is running, you can (at least as root) access that file
anyway:
1. Find the process id of the process writing the log (tomcat)
2. List /proc/<id>/fd to see which file handle it is (usually 1 and 2 for
catalina.out)
3. Copy the log using the file handle.

For example from my server:

root@www:~# rm /isp/logs/tomcat/catalina.out

root@www:~# pgrep java
4690

root@www:~# ls -al /proc/4690/fd | grep catalina.out
l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2012-11-29 19:17 1 ->
/isp/logs/tomcat/catalina.out (deleted)
l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2012-11-29 19:17 2 ->
/isp/logs/tomcat/catalina.out (deleted)

root@www:~# copy /proc/4690/fd/1 /root/logsaved

WARNING: As soon as you restart tomcat, the last reference to the unlinked
file will be gone and linux will remove the file for good.

Regards,
   Steffen