Thank you Mark.

I realized the first reply I got might be why not try it, my question, which I
did, and of course I had it wrong.

I thought of security-constraint right after I clicked send, but the filter
will also work.

http://planning.maricopa.gov/rest - needed to restrict access to one directory
of that webapp.  It's a third party app, but our data.

Leo