Christopher Schultz wrote:

I've even seen a site with a Perl-based (or was it PHP-based) service
..

must have been PHP, not Perl, I'm sure.  We Perl guys don't do things that way.
As I was telling Leo off-line, we have a nice global switch called "fatals_to_browser", which you can just turn on on a dev website if you want to see the stack traces, and turn off for a prod website where you don't. So when you deliver software to customers, you turn it off, and it just looks a lot better. Not that you need the feature too often either, because Perl always finds a way to interpret your code so as to do something, instead of just giving up.