2012/11/28 Robert Anderson <ranom...@gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>

> We've some data sources defined in server.xml as following:

>  <GlobalNamingResources>
>           <Resource name="jdbc/proddb1" auth="Container"
> type="javax.sql.DataSource" removeAbandoned="true"
> removeAbandonedTimeout="300"
>                                    maxActive="400" maxIdle="30"
> maxWait="10000"
>                                    validationQuery="select 1 from dual"
>                                    testOnBorrow="true"
>                                    username="xxxx" password="xxxx"
> driverClassName="com.intersys.jdbc.CacheDriver"
>                                    url="jdbc:Cache://server:1972/DB"/>
>
>  </GlobalNamingResources>
>
> conf/context.xml
>
> <Context>
>         <ResourceLink name="jdbc/proddb1" global="jdbc/proddb1"/>
> </Context>
>

> Everything has worked normal during many months...until now.
>
> At least once a day, since 11/21, webapplications  throw
> NullPointerException because they cannot find jndi data sources. The Data
> sources tab in psi-probe (http://code.google.com/p/psi-probe/) says that
> there aren't jndi data sources in server.  We are thinking that some
> application may have added some jar or class in classpath that is causing
> the problem.
>
> After restart, without changes in conf files,  everything backs to normal.
>
> Any idea?
>
> Environment:
>
> java version "1.6.0_35"
> Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.10-b01, mixed mode)
>
> Server version: Apache Tomcat/6.0.32
> Server built:   February 2 2011 2003
> Server number:  6.0.32.0
> OS Name:        Linux
> OS Version:     2.6.18-194.17.1.el5
> Architecture:   amd64
> JVM Version:    1.6.0_35-b10
> JVM Vendor:     Sun Microsystems Inc.

1. This NullPointerException happens when an application starts up?

(Do the apps perform the lookup once and cache the result, or they
perform multiple lookups?)

2. What is seen in JNDI context depends on the current classloader
(Thread.getContextClassLoader()).

Does the issue happen in a request processing thread, or somewhere else?

3. Does it affect specific web applications, or it is more random?

4. Anything interesting in the logs and in catalina.out? E.g. OutOfMemoryError.

5. What connector implementations are you using? Bio, Nio, APR?

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko