On Dec 6, 2012, at 11:19 AM, Yuri E wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using Windows XP Professional SP3, 32 bits, and Tomcat 7.0.
>
> Recently I started developping a web application for the company I'm
> working for, and I decided to use Tomcat as Web Server.
> The first thing I did was download the zip version, and start Tomcat using
> the Windows Command Prompt (startup.bat). Then, I deployed my app and
> configured my router (TP-Link) to foward the 8080 port to my IP adress (it
> has reserved IP by MAC adress). I'm using DHCP connection to access web.
> I tried to access my webb app through "http://localhost:8080";, and
> everything was fine, then I tried with "http://[router-ip]:8080";, and it
> worked without problems.
> But I didn't liked the console window which appears when Tomcat is started,
> so I decided to install Tomcat through the .exe installer. First, I stopped
> Tomcat by closing the console window opened in the startup, and then I
> installed Tomcat as service using the .exe.
> I restarted the computer, and Tomcat automatically started. Good. But when
> I went to access my web app again using router's IP, I couldn't. Then, I
> tried to access Tomcat's Welcome Page using Firefox (http://localhost:8080),
> and everything was ok.

If Tomcat's welcome page is accessible then Tomcat is up and running.  It's
likely that you application failed to deploy.

Have you looked at the server logs and your application logs to see if there
were any problems?

> After that, I tried using my router's IP (with
> Firefox), and I received an error message saying that "the connection was
> reset".
>
> What I want to know is what I need to do to access Tomcat (running as
> service) from web, taking into account that it works perfectly when running
> in the console window.

There are differences between running Tomcat in the console and running it as a
service.  I'm not a windows expert, but I believe that each scenario would run
as a different user (console running as your user, the service running as a
service account).  Perhaps someone more knowledgable about Windows can provide
more details.

Dan