2012/12/6 Daniel Mikusa <dmik...@vmware.com>:
> On Dec 6, 2012, at 11:19 AM, Yuri E wrote:
>
>> so I decided to install Tomcat through the .exe installer. First, I stopped
>> Tomcat by closing the console window opened in the startup, and then I
>> installed Tomcat as service using the .exe.
>> I restarted the computer, and Tomcat automatically started. Good. But when
>> I went to access my web app again using router's IP, I couldn't. Then, I
>> tried to access Tomcat's Welcome Page using Firefox (http://localhost:8080),
>> and everything was ok.
>
> If Tomcat's welcome page is accessible then Tomcat is up and running.  It's
> likely that you application failed to deploy.
>
> Have you looked at the server logs and your application logs to see if there
> were any problems?

+1

The description above sounds like the OP installed a brand new fresh
copy of Tomcat, but have not deployed a copy his app on it.

There is "manager" webapp available in the standard distributive, that
allows one to see what apps are deployed.

(Reminder: do not forget to protect the manager webapp by a
RemoteAddrValve and by choosing a good password).

>> After that, I tried using my router's IP (with
>> Firefox), and I received an error message saying that "the connection was
>> reset".
>>
>> What I want to know is what I need to do to access Tomcat (running as
>> service) from web, taking into account that it works perfectly when running
>> in the console window.
>
> There are differences between running Tomcat in the console and running it as
> a service.  I'm not a windows expert, but I believe that each scenario would
> run as a different user (console running as your user, the service running as
> a service account).  Perhaps someone more knowledgable about Windows can
> provide more details.

Correct.

For completeness, there is "Windows" page in the FAQ.
https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q7

Best regards,
Konstantin Kolinko