From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:ch...@christopherschultz.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 30, 2013 2:18 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JMS in a Tomcat Environment

Nick,

On 1/30/13 2:06 PM, Williams, Nick wrote:
> Thanks for the input, both of you. I will take a look at the activity
> in the repository and also inquire on the lists, as well as trying
> different implementations.
>
> I'm curious. I know that, being open source, the Tomcat project
> generally welcomes volunteers who want to contribute features or
> improvements. However, I'd like to know at what point a feature is
> unwelcome in Tomcat. I know that Tomcat is not and does not desire to
> be a full JavaEE application server. So, with that in mind, does the
> community desire that Tomcat NOT ever have JMS implemented in it? Or,
> has it just never been done because nobody did it, and if a volunteer
> came along willing to implement JMS in Tomcat, would the community be
> open to that?

I think Tomcat is not likely to consider JMS integration in the near future. If
you want a J2EE stack, TomEE is really where you want to look. Adding JMS to
Tomcat is not a big deal to do manually, and the overhead of having it come
out-of-the-box is probably just not worth it for the overwhelming majority of
current users.

- -chris

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not
the intended recipient: (1) you may not disclose, use, distribute, copy or rely
upon this message or attachment(s); and (2) please notify the sender by reply
e-mail, and then delete this message and its attachment(s). Underwriters
Laboratories Inc. and its affiliates disclaim all liability for any errors,
omissions, corruption or virus in this message or any attachments.