Harris, Jeffrey E. wrote:

All,

I understand that there is no good, secure solution.  However, my hands are
tied on this matter, and I would appreciate if you would focus on providing
technical assistance in implementing a solution within the constraints I have
been given.

Jeffrey,

We all understand that you have been given rules, and are supposed to follow
them.
But if these rules themselves make no logical sense, nothing in this Universe is going to help you overcome that.

What is the concern really, about the password remaining somewhere on that server when the system is shut down ? Is it that the server, in its shut down state, could be subrepticiously broken apart, its disk stolen and then inspected by foreign spooks to discover that password, which could then be used to further nefarious ends, or what /exactly/ ?

What is wrong with the following scenario :
- a physical Windows server with a console and a keyboard
- boot Windows and login as a "tomcat" user (created beforehand)
- open a command window
- start Tomcat as an application (not a Service) in that command window
- tomcat will ask for the passphrase of the keystore. Type it in. (*)
- when Tomcat is running, enter CTRL-ALT-DEL and freeze the console (do not logout from Windows)
- walk away

(*) having made sure beforehand that there is no trojen on that machine which records your keystrokes and writes them to the disk