On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 5:13 AM, André Warnier <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:

> The standard modus operandi of this list is to not top-post (makes it more
> difficult to follow the logical flow of conversation).
> So I've copied your response and my further comments at end.
>

>>  Andrew Winter wrote:
>>>
>>>  I work on an intranet type application.  While on the local network

>>> within the Tomcat configuration (same as <VirtualHost> under Apache).
>>> Deploy a separate copy of your webapps within each <Host>'s "appBase". In
>>> one <Host>, you protect them via Basic Auth, in the other <Host> you do
>>> not.
>>>
>>> Under Tomcat, it is not recommended to use the same "appBase" (roughly
>>> the
>>> same
>>> as Apache's "DocumentRoot") for two separate <Host>'s, because this
>>> creates problems of double deployment etc.  So use two separate sets of
>>> webapps.  They are still the same webapp, just deployed twice, in
>>> different
>>> locations.  Is that a problem for you ?
>>>
>>> Roughly (check the proper syntax on tomcat.apache.org) :
>>>
>>> server.xml :

>>>   <Engine ...>
>>>
>>>     <Host name="host1.company.com" appBase="/some/dir/number1" ..>
>>>     </Host>
>>>
>>>     <Host name="host2.company.com" appBase="/some/dir/number2" ..>
>>>     </Host>

>>> /some/dir/number1
>>>     |- ROOT/
>>>     |- webapp1
>>>     |- webapp2
>>>
>>> /some/dir/number2
>>>     |- ROOT/
>>>     |- webapp1
>>>     |- webapp2
>>>
>>> the 2 "webapp1" are the same (same code, same files,..) (*)
>>> the 2 "webapp2" are the same
>>>
>>> (*) actually, almost the same, since their WEB-INF/web.xml will be
>>> different : one has to be accessed via HTTPS and use Basic Auth, the
>>> other
>>> one not.
>>>

>>>  Andrew Winter wrote:
> > Thanks. A lot of file IO goes on with this app. There are a couple of
> files
> > in particular that are held open for the life of the app and written to
> > sporadically. I am thinking that having the same code as two web apps
> would
> > lead to those files getting clobbered. Is there a way to make the 'same
> > appbase with 2 hosts' version work?
> > On Feb 19, 2013 5:57 PM, "André Warnier" <a...@ice-sa.com> wrote:
>
> Well, at first I'd say no.  Even if you were to point both appBase's at
> the same disk location (and turn off "auto-deploy" !), you would still
> logically have different "instances" of the webapp running at the same time
> (one for each host, at least).
>
> There are certainly other ways to achieve what you want to do, but I am
> getting a bit out of my depth here, so be careful of what I'm saying next,
> and maybe wait for other more qualified people's comments.

> [...]
Okay, I have this resolved, now.  I went with the FORM authentication
method and created a servlet that will create a login screen on an
isSecure() connection. For standard HTTP requests I pass over a self
submitting form with the credentials included.  This will work for the
human interfaces and I will just have to deal with any programmatic
access problems as I find them.

Thank you for all your help!