Top hit when googling for 'windows service interact with desktop'

http://lostechies.com/keithdahlby/2011/08/13/allowing-a-windows-service-to-interact-with-desktop-without-localsystem/

> The basic answer to your question is :
> The fact that under Windows you cannot do what you seem to want, has to do
> with Windows and how it handles Windows "Services". It does not depend on
> Tomcat in any way, and there is nothing that you can do in Tomcat to change
> this.

You can flag a service as being allowed to interact with the desktop.
This is turned off by default

> Apart from that, there seems to be something illogical in your request.

I think it is very strange that the server needs to open windows -
surely on the server nobody is going to be there to look at them?

HTH

Chris